Wednesday 2 December 2009

Invaders from mars

In the words of Simon Cowell ''that is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life''. I Don't say this, because I'm a special effects guy, because anyone who knows me knows that I'm old school, heck, Tom Savini changed my life, but this was far too, well, linear for me.

it starts, and then just goes through, theres very little side story, or very little peril aside from the main theme. even at is time of release, critical reception received was average at best.

the film when released in Britain had an alternative ending shot several months after, and Jimmy Hunt, who played young David, had gained a substantial amount of weight. that's just ridiculous, careless film making. if movies before this can stand up stronger, it cannot blame its downfall on lack of technology, because it does have some very elaborate scenes for its time. i think the film, as a whole does not succeed, as it bites off more than it can chew. the ending was far too strung out, the pacing rapidly changes, which is often very difficult to sit through.

despite all of this, and i know I'm sorry if some of you really enjoyed it, it do see why we watched this.
again, the feeling of knowing that someone close to you could change into something so malign, is chilling. there is a constant sense of paranoia, the feeling of broken trust and we get this when young David asks the female doctor ''can i see the back of your neck?''.

I'll admit, when the story ended as a dream, it really was the icing on the cake, it was a new idea? it's still a shit one. HOWEVER, when the ship began to land again and the story began to retell, i was quite intrigued, the whole dream in a dream nightmare scenario made me think.

to be honest, i don't have much to say about this film, a lot of my opinion is negative unfortunately, i would love to have enjoyed it, but compared to something like the original 'the thing', it doesn't stand a chance.




this is what I'm talking about, this is how you take over someones body!

No comments:

Post a Comment